SFCC Job Opportunity: Business Development Manager
Beijing, 28 May 2021 - Are you passionate about reducing the climate impact of the freight sector and engage companies to get to zero emission logistics? Then you could be a successful member of our small and dedicated local and international team.
Preferred start date: immediate
Location: Beijing, China
About Smart Freight CentreSmart Freight Centre (SFC) was established in 2013 as a global non-profit organization dedicated to an efficient and zero emissions freight sector – contributing to Paris Climate Agreement targets and Sustainable Development Goals. Our goal is that 100+ multinationals (MNCs) reduce at least 30% of their logistics emissions by 2030 compared to 2015 and reach net-zero emissions by 2050.
SFC advises companies on how to develop and implement their company-specific Sustainable Logistics Roadmap using the four ‘Smart Freight Leadership’ steps: report, set targets, reduce and collaborate. We also advocate for supportive policy and programs and raise awareness to accelerate sector-wide action.
Our main achievement is the formation of the Global Logistics Emissions Council (GLEC) with whom we developed the GLEC Framework in 2016 and updated it in 2019 – the globally recognized method for logistics emissions calculation and reporting, and now for a key input to ISO 14083 which is in preparation. We have since developed more products (guidelines, training, assessments, technical advice) and set up new projects with leading companies and other GLEC partners that address specific company barriers.
To allow operation in China, SFC established Smart Freight Centre Asia Ltd, registered in Hong Kong, and Smart Freight Centre China (SFCC) as a Wholly Foreign-Owned Enterprise (WFOE), registered in Beijing. SFC is 100% owner of both.
SFC China’s focus is the Smart Freight Shippers Alliance (SFSA) in China that aims at a group of shippers who work together towards a compliant, efficient and sustainable China freight sector. As secretariat of SFSA we support concrete actions between shippers and their suppliers and give input to supportive policies and programs in China of government, associations and other organizations.
About the positionYou will be engaging SFSA members, local partners to support or manage SFSA projects. You will report to the China Director and will work closely together with the China team members and collaborate with SFC’s Strategic Partnership team. You will work in a small, internationally oriented organization, where sparring and interaction with colleagues across the organization and SFCC partners is key. Your working languages are Chinese and English.
Within the following 2 main responsibilities we ask you to:
SFSA members management
- Manage relations with MNCs concerning SFSA operation and development in China
- Identifying company priorities for new SFSA projects
- Gather information from MNCs concerning their freight GHG emission reporting to support SFCC’s impact assessment
- Contribute to the annual work plans for the SFSA development
SFSA project management:
- Develop, manage, and support the implementation of SFSA projects together with colleagues, consultants and SFSA members and partners
- Manage multi-year projects to time, budget and partner satisfaction according to SFCC’s project management procedures
- Write project reports and provide content input to training courses, assessment tools, case studies and other publicity materials
- Liaise with communication & funding and PR colleagues related to the projects representation of SFCC
- Represent SFCC in collaboration projects and external events and meetings
As the ideal candidate you can demonstrate:
- 3+ years’ experience in the broader freight and logistics sector and working with companies
- Passionate about a mission addressing climate change, energy saving and emission reduction
- Excellent project management, interpersonal relations and report writing skills, a team player
- Results driven, ability to work independently, proactively and in a structured manner
- Excellent English writing and speaking skills
Interested applicants should email their CV and motivation to Boyong Wang (Boyong.Wang@smartfreightcentre.org) with a copy to Su Li at: (firstname.lastname@example.org) before June 15, 2021.
Photo credit: Toby Yang