The supply of ingredients for brewing and the distribution of beer and ciders to consumers in 70 markets worldwide is a logistics challenge.
“Smart Freight Centre helps HEINEKEN to be efficient and sustainable in our logistics operation, which for us is a license to operate in the coming years.” - Maarten Cuijpers, Global Lead Logistics and Sustainability, Heineken.
Smart Freight GLEC
- Adopted the GLEC Framework following a thorough comparison between the company’s existing methods and the GLEC Framework. A key benefit is that it helped identify areas for improvement: how to set the right boundaries on what is included, make adjustments to the calculation and allocation approach, and fill gaps in internal activity data and external default data.
- In 2018, HEINEKEN committed to increase its share of renewable energy in production from 14% today to 70% by 2030. Furthermore, HEINEKEN is in the process of setting new emission reduction targets for its scope 3 emission activities that include distribution, cooling and packaging. For logistics, the company will expand its geographic scope, currently only covering the Americas and Europe, as well as the operational scope to include the full end-to-end (E2E) impact. To achieve carbon reduction throughout the supply chain, HEINEKEN is committed to working with the industry, suppliers, governments, customers, consumers and other relevant parties.
- Sustainability performance management is rolled out to all functions involved (operations, procurement, corporate affairs and commerce) with KPIs, targets, reporting and auditing.
Smart Freight Solutions
- HEINEKEN local operating companies collaborate with its carriers to drive down emissions. This includes rolling out fuel management programmes together with carriers to monitor and improve the fuel performance of trucking operations.
- Other projects that have been implemented include electric truck pilots, shifting from trucks to an electric barge, and training of ‘Smart Transport Managers’ on working with Logistics Service Providers to improve fleet efficiency. Supply Chain Implementation awards are given to local teams with the most interesting and impactful projects to inspire others to follow their lead.
Smart Freight Collaborate
- Collaborated with other shippers and carriers through green freight programs including SmartWay, Clean Cargo Working Group, Green Freight Asia, the Brazilian Green Logistics Program and Lean and Green in The Netherlands.