SFC Job Opportunity: Program Manager
Amsterdam, 19 July 2022 - Do you want to make a real impact – working towards zero emissions in the freight sector – and are you passionate about playing a central role in SFC’s programs? Then you could be a successful member of our small and dedicated international team.
Location: Amsterdam or a suitable home location in Europe
Starting date: immediate
About Smart Freight CentreSmart Freight Centre (SFC) is a globally active non-profit organization for climate action in the freight sector. We are enablers for those who believe in united action to reduce logistics greenhouse gas emissions. Through creating a single, international methodology for tracking freight emissions we drive transparency to enable emission reductions. SFC brings together multi-nationals, forwarders & carriers, NGOs, and governments in our collaborative initiatives, trainings and programs. Together, we help solve the business challenges behind reducing freight emissions and impact the industry standards. Our goal is to guide the industry to track and reduce its GHG emissions by 1 billion tonnes by 2030 and reach zero emissions by 2050 or earlier.
One of our main achievements is the formation of the Global Logistics Emissions Council (GLEC) with whom we developed the GLEC Framework in 2016 and updated it in 2019 – the global method for logistics emission calculation and reporting, and now the basis for a forthcoming ISO standard. We have since expanded our initiatives, and developed more products (guidelines, training, assessments, technical advice) and set up new projects with leading companies and other GLEC partners that address specific barriers to decarbonization.
About the positionSmart Freight Centre, alongside DIN and other partners, is working on the development of a new international standard for calculating and reporting transport emissions: ISO 14083, “Greenhouse gases - Quantification and reporting of greenhouse gas emissions arising from transport chain operations”.
In the meantime, SFC has demonstrated a market demand through its own accreditation and validation schemes to demonstrate conformity with the GLEC Framework. SFC now wishes to leverage its experience and market position to further develop its existing accreditation and validation schemes. With this in mind, SFC is now establishing a Conformity Assessment Scheme to cover the validation/verification of environmental information in the context of the anticipated publication of ISO 14083 (i.e. GHG emissions from transport operations, with a focus on the freight transport sector).
Your role will be to coordinate the development of SFC’s Conformity Assessment Scheme (VVS), working with an external technical contractor, under the oversight of SFC’s Management Team.
We ask you to:
- Coordinate development of the VVS management process within SFC
- Develop scheme budgets and business plan
- Manage recruitment of the necessary in-house support
- Initiate accreditation of the VVS document by RVA (the Dutch Accreditation Body)
- Liaise with the RvA to demonstrate sector interest in the scheme and trial the adoption of the VVS with one Conformity Assessment Body (VVB)
- Manage recruitment, contracting and training of VVBs
- Identify relevant stakeholders to generate interest in the scheme within the logistics industry and to stimulate adoption of the VVS by VVBs
- Ongoing management of the scheme and ensure its long-term adoption
As the ideal candidate, you can demonstrate:
- Proactive, organized and efficient working habits
- Experience in developing and / or managing similar Conformity Assessment Schemes
- Detail-oriented but also with an eye on the big picture
- Flexibility, ability to work independently and proactively in a dynamic environment
- Good interpersonal and communication skills
- Fluency in spoken and written English
- Proficiency in MS Office, and interest in and understanding of ICT
- Motivation to be part of an important cause to make the global freight sector green and efficient
We can offer
- An open culture where your ideas are listened to and respected
- An amazing central office in the heart of Amsterdam
- The opportunity to work with leading multinational companies who work with us
- A diverse team of passionate people dedicated to a sustainable future
- Flexibility when it comes to in-person and remote working
- Salary/benefits that are competitive for international non-profit organization