SFC Job Opportunity: Technical Expert (Inland Waterways)
Amsterdam, 23 July 2020 - Are you passionate about reducing emissions in the freight sector and in particular the pivotal role of Inland Waterways? Then you could be a successful member of our small and dedicated international team.
About Smart Freight CentreSmart Freight Centre (SFC) was established in 2013 as a global non-profit organization dedicated to sustainable freight. We cover all freight and only freight. Our goal is that 100+ multinationals reduce at least 30% of logistics emissions by 2030 compared to 2015 across their global logistics supply chains reach net-zero emissions by 2050. Concretely this means 80 million tonnes annual CO2e emission reductions by 2030. We believe that increased transparency and collaboration will mobilize companies to reduce the climate and pollution impact arising from global freight.
SFC is involved in the Horizon 2020 project IW-Net and is looking for a Technical Expert (Inland Waterways).
About IW-NetIW-Net (Innovation driven Collaborative European Inland Waterways Transport Network) will deliver a multimodal optimization process across the EU Transport System, increasing the modal share of Inland Waterway Transport. The project as a whole will address barriers to reach an efficient and competitive IWT sector, such as infrastructure bottlenecks, insufficient IT integration along the chain and slow adoption of technologies such as new vessel types, alternative fuels, automation, IoT and machine learning.
SFC’s role within the project will be to transfer best practice in GHG emission calculation and associated data collection from other sectors to the context of the inland waterway sector, so supporting the partners to assess the potential impacts of the project measures in the short, medium and long terms. SFC will also take the lead in compiling a roadmap for development of IWT infrastructure developments to 2030.
About the positionYour role will be working with SFC’s Technical Development Director, supporting him in the delivery of day-to-day activities within SFC’s work programme and taking the lead of operational involvement for SFC in the IW-Net project. You will work in a small, internationally oriented organization, where sparring and interaction with colleagues across the organization and SFC partners is key.
We ask you to:
- Take the technical and management lead for SFC within IW-Net
- Advise partners on the data requirements and calculations required to assess the GHG emission impact resulting from the IW-Net project interventions
- Develop data collection and emission reporting templates
- Provide input to the business case for GHG calculation within the IW-Net platform based on technical and sector knowledge
- Lead the development of the IWT infrastructure developments roadmap to 2030
- Provide input to IWT sector-specific training, standardization and commercialization developments proposed within the project
- Represent SFC at IW-Net meetings and other external events and meetings as appropriate
- Develop case studies / publicity material content and providing project-related input for SFC’s marketing and communication purposes
As ideal candidate you can demonstrate:
- Experience in the inland waterways sector, preferably with good contacts in this sector
- Sector-specific experience related to at least one of freight transportation, infrastructure planning and data collection linked to emission calculation
- Working knowledge of existing data transfer practices between logistics chain partners
Fluency in spoken and written English and ability to write high quality, well-structured reports.
- Basic working knowledge of Dutch is preferred but not essential
- Initiative and good interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to work independently and proactively
- Organized, structured and efficient work practice
- Experience in working with systems and processes
- Proficiency in MS Office, especially Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Motivation to be part of an important cause to make the global freight sector green and efficient
To work in an extremely interesting line of business where you can actually make a difference
- To be part of the passionate and diverse SFC family that is widely networked in its fields of expertise
- To ride the wave in this “scale-up” where taking our services to market leads to zero freight emissions
- To earn salary/benefits that are competitive for international non-profit organizations
Interested applicants should email their CV and motivation Imke Koldijk (email@example.com).