Volkswagen sets the TOGETHER-Strategy 2025 to become one of the world’s leading providers of sustainable mobility. Creating green practices for all Group brands that cover production, supply chain and logistics, along with the use of vehicles by customers.
“Having transparency about emissions in the supply chain is fundamental for decisions and improvements. Using credible calculation and reporting schemes which are widely accepted and adopted by our supply chain partners is key for us. Also, Smart Freight Centre will help us to increase even more the important approach of collaboration. ”
- Daniele Saba, Senior Manager Green Logistics, Volkswagen Group Logistics
- Adopted the GLEC Framework & uses activity data for over 80% of all shipments combined with measured & highly customised emissions factor data sets - 100 million data entries annually! Underwent a gap analysis with the GLEC Framework helped identify gaps: air transport of spare parts, locally-sourced materials for non-EU factories, vehicle transport in China, full coverage of logistics sites, and increasing access to primary data from logistics partners. More complete and consistent data using the GLEC Framework will improve decision-making in logistics planning and operations.
- Maximized opportunities for logistics improvement as a shipper without direct control of fleet operations. For instance, localized production to reduce logistics needs, using lightweight containers, warehouse insulation and lighting. maximizing load factors wherever possible and consolidating loads to reduce truck numbers. Two LNG-powered vessels that carry cars between Europe and North America in 2019, will reduce up to 25% CO2, 30% NOx and eliminating SOx from bunker fuel.
- Introduction of LNG trucks in the material network in 2019 and actively promoting the necessary infrastructure of LNG gas stations in Europe.
- Has advocated for a long-term strategy for sustainability and decarbonization of the automotive sector, including its logistics supply chain, through DRIVE Sustainability* and the Clean Shipping Network*
- With its membership and engagement in the Clean Shipping Network is contributing actively to the sustainable maritime business
More similar reads
The supply of ingredients for brewing and the distribution of beer and ciders to consumers in 70 markets worldwide is a logistics challenge.
As a global logistics service provider, GEODIS’ 7 Golden Rules and 7 Leadership Principles* include being a good citizen. One of its key environmental objectives* is to monitor and reduce the environmental impa...
DEUTSCHE POST DHL GROUP
Deutsche Post DHL Group’s sustainability roadmap builds on the UN Sustainable Development Goals and UN Global Compact Principles. With its mission to achieve net-zero emissions by 2050 ("Mission 2050"), the com...